With the proliferation of web-based Laserfiche products, Laserfiche has implemented an authentication system called Laserfiche Directory Server, or LFDS, for short. It gives Laserfiche administrators the ability to configure a Laserfiche user to be able to login with a Laserfiche seat license, like a Full User or Participant User, to multiple applications across multiple servers. This first started in Laserfiche RIO, and is now seen in Laserfiche Avante systems, as well.
With Avante, most users, if not a Windows user, are created as “Repository Users”. This repository account allows a user to login to one repository. And, usually, they have been given a Full Named User license.
So, what happens when you want that Repository User to be set up in LFDS? Here are the steps needed. It should be noted that this scenario is not for a Windows user.
There are four main steps:
A. Decommission the Repository user in Laserfiche Administration Console
B. Update the LFDS Application with the new Full license count.
C. Create the LFDS User
D. Add the LFDS User back into the repository in Laserfiche Administration Console
Decommission the Repository user in Laserfiche Administration Console
1. In the Laserfiche Admin Console, navigate to the Users and Groups > Repository Users.
2. Open the properties of the desired user (trustee).
3. Change the Repository Named User: box to False, which will free up a license.
4. Click OK to save the changes.
Update the LFDS Application with the new Full license count
5. Next, navigate to the LFDS site. On the server itself, there will be a desktop icon.
6. Navigate to the Applications tab
7. Select the Laserfiche Server application in the list.
8. Expand the Server listing (1) and then click Edit (2).
9. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on Advanced Options.
10. Scroll down to the Full repository named user box, and enter the number of Full Named Users you are adding back in. If you are just adding one user, type the number 1.
11. The Remaining Licenses box will change the count of Full licenses to match the allocation. If LFDS and the Laserfiche Server are on the same machine, the Full User count will synchronize almost immediately. Therefore, if you decommission a Full user license as you did in Step 3, the available licenses remaining will stay at 0 or greater.